ICD-10-CM Code J31.2
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J31.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of chronic pharyngitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J312 is used to code Pharyngitis
Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx, a region in the back of the throat. In most cases it is painful, and it is the most common cause of a sore throat.
|MeSH Codes:||D010612, D010612|
|ICD 9 Codes:||462, 472.1|
Inflamed oropharynx: swollen and red.
Coding Notes for J31.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Chronic sore throat
- Atrophic pharyngitis (chronic)
- Granular pharyngitis (chronic)
- Hypertrophic pharyngitis (chronic)
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Acute pharyngitis - instead, use code J02.9
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Chronic ulcerative pharyngitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J31.2 - Chronic pharyngitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J31.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 472.1 was previously used, J31.2 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.