ICD-10-CM Code J35.1
Hypertrophy of tonsils
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J35.1 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of hypertrophy of tonsils. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for J35.1 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Enlargement of tonsils
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Hypertrophy of tonsils with tonsillitis - instead, use code J35.0-
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Hypertrophy of tonsils (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J35.1 - Hypertrophy of tonsils'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J35.1. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 474.11 was previously used, J35.1 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.