ICD-10-CM Code J36
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J36 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of peritonsillar abscess. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J36 is used to code Peritonsillar abscess
Peritonsillar abscess (PTA), also known as a quinsy or quinsey, is a recognized complication of tonsillitis and consists of a collection of pus beside the tonsil in what is referred to as peritonsillar space (peri—meaning surrounding). It is a commonly encountered otorhinolaryngological (ENT) emergency.
|ICD 9 Code:||475|
Right sided peritonsillar abscess
Coding Notes for J36 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Abscess of tonsil
- Peritonsillar cellulitis
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code See Section B95-B97 to identify infectious agent.
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute tonsillitis - instead, use code J03.-
- Chronic tonsillitis - instead, use code J35.0
- Retropharyngeal abscess - instead, use code J39.0
- Tonsillitis NOS - instead, use code J03.9-
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Peritonsillar abscess (disorder)
- Abscess of tonsil (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J36 - Peritonsillar abscess'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J36. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 475 was previously used, J36 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.