ICD-10-CM Code J39
Other diseases of upper respiratory tract
| ICD-10 from 2011 - 2016
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J39 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of J39 that describes the diagnosis 'other diseases of upper respiratory tract' in more detail.
- J39 Other diseases of upper respiratory tract NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE J39.0
- BILLABLE J39.1 Other of
- BILLABLE J39.2 Other diseases of
- BILLABLE J39.3 respiratory tract
- BILLABLE J39.8 Other diseases of upper respiratory tract
- BILLABLE J39.9 of upper respiratory
Coding Notes for J39 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute respiratory infection NOS - instead, use Code J22
- Acute upper respiratory infection - instead, use code J06.9
- Upper respiratory inflammation due to chemicals, gases, fumes or vapors - instead, use code J68.2
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J39 - Other diseases of upper respiratory tract'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J39. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
(connective tissue) (embolic) (fistulous) (infective) (metastatic) (multiple) (pernicious) (pyogenic) (septic)
Disease, diseased (see: Syndrome) +
(s) (in) (of)
Dry, dryness (see: condition) +
Scar, scarring (see: Cicatrix) +