ICD-10-CM Code J40
Bronchitis, not specified as acute or chronic
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J40 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of bronchitis, not specified as acute or chronic. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J40 is used to code Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also known as chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD) and chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD), among others, is a type of obstructive lung disease characterized by chronically poor airflow. It typically worsens over time. The main symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, and sputum production. Most people with chronic bronchitis have COPD.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||490, 491, 492, 494, 495, 496|
Gross pathology of a lung showing centrilobular-type emphysema characteristic of smoking. This close-up of the fixed, cut lung surface shows multiple cavities filled with heavy black carbon deposits.
Coding Notes for J40 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Bronchitis NOS
- Bronchitis with tracheitis NOS
- Catarrhal bronchitis
- Tracheobronchitis NOS
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- Exposure to tobacco smoke in the perinatal period See code P96.81
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute bronchitis - instead, use code J20.-
- Allergic bronchitis NOS - instead, use code J45.909-
- Asthmatic bronchitis NOS - instead, use code J45.9-
- Bronchitis due to chemicals, gases, fumes and vapors - instead, use code J68.0
- DRG Group #202-203 - Bronchitis and asthma with CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #202-203 - Bronchitis and asthma without CC or MCC.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J40 - Bronchitis, not specified as acute or chronic'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J40. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 490 was previously used, J40 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.