ICD-10-CM Code J43
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J43 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of J43 that describes the diagnosis 'emphysema' in more detail.
- J43 Emphysema NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code J43 is used to code Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also known as chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD) and chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD), among others, is a type of obstructive lung disease characterized by chronically poor airflow. It typically worsens over time. The main symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, and sputum production. Most people with chronic bronchitis have COPD.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||490, 491, 492, 494, 495, 496|
Gross pathology of a lung showing centrilobular-type emphysema characteristic of smoking. This close-up of the fixed, cut lung surface shows multiple cavities filled with heavy black carbon deposits.
Coding Notes for J43 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Compensatory emphysema - instead, use code J98.3
- Emphysema due to inhalation of chemicals, gases, fumes or vapors - instead, use code J68.4
- Emphysema with chronic (obstructive) bronchitis - instead, use code J44.-
- Emphysematous (obstructive) bronchitis - instead, use code J44.-
- Interstitial emphysema - instead, use code J98.2
- Mediastinal emphysema - instead, use code J98.2
- Neonatal interstitial emphysema - instead, use code P25.0
- Surgical (subcutaneous) emphysema - instead, use code T81.82
- Traumatic subcutaneous emphysema - instead, use code T79.7
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J43 - Emphysema'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J43. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.