ICD-10-CM Code J44
Other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J44 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of J44 that describes the diagnosis 'other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease' in more detail.
- J44 Other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code J44 is used to code Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also known as chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD) and chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD), among others, is a type of obstructive lung disease characterized by chronically poor airflow. It typically worsens over time. The main symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, and sputum production. Most people with chronic bronchitis have COPD.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||490, 491, 492, 494, 495, 496|
Gross pathology of a lung showing centrilobular-type emphysema characteristic of smoking. This close-up of the fixed, cut lung surface shows multiple cavities filled with heavy black carbon deposits.
Coding Notes for J44 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Asthma with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Chronic asthmatic (obstructive) bronchitis
- Chronic bronchitis with airways obstruction
- Chronic bronchitis with emphysema
- Chronic emphysematous bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive asthma
- Chronic obstructive bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive tracheobronchitis
Code Also Note:
Code AlsoA Code Also note indicates that two or more codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but the order of codes is at the coder's discretion. Code order depends on the severity of the conditions and the reason for the encounter.
- Type of asthma, if applicable See code J45.-
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Bronchiectasis - instead, use code J47.-
- Chronic bronchitis NOS - instead, use Code J42
- Chronic simple and mucopurulent bronchitis - instead, use code J41.-
- Chronic tracheitis - instead, use Code J42
- Chronic tracheobronchitis - instead, use Code J42
- Emphysema without chronic bronchitis - instead, use code J43.-
- Lung diseases due to external agents - instead, use Section J60-J70
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J44 - Other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J44. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.