ICD-10-CM Code J81
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J81 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the two child codes of J81 that describes the diagnosis 'pulmonary edema' in more detail.
- J81 Pulmonary edema NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code J81 is used to code Pulmonary edema
Pulmonary Oedema (British English), or edema (American English; both words from the Greek οἴδημα), is fluid accumulation in the air spaces and parenchyma of the lungs. It leads to impaired gas exchange and may cause respiratory failure. It is due to either failure of the left ventricle of the heart to adequately remove blood from the pulmonary circulation ("cardiogenic pulmonary oedema"), or an injury to the lung parenchyma or vasculature of the lung ("noncardiogenic pulmonary oedema"). Treatment is focused on three aspects: firstly improving respiratory function, secondly, treating the underlying cause, and thirdly avoiding further damage to the lung. Pulmonary oedema, especially acute, can lead to fatal respiratory distress or cardiac arrest due to hypoxia. It is a cardinal feature of congestive heart failure.
|Cardiology, Critical Care Medicine
|ICD 9 Codes:
Pulmonary edema with small pleural effusions on both sides.
Coding Notes for J81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Chemical (acute) pulmonary edema - instead, use code J68.1
- Hypostatic pneumonia - instead, use code J18.2
- Passive pneumonia - instead, use code J18.2
- Pulmonary edema due to external agents - instead, use Section J60-J70
- Pulmonary edema with heart disease NOS - instead, use code I50.1
- Pulmonary edema with heart failure - instead, use code I50.1
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J81 - Pulmonary edema'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.