ICD-10-CM Code J84.1
Other interstitial pulmonary diseases with fibrosis
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J84.1 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of J84.1 that describes the diagnosis 'other interstitial pulmonary diseases with fibrosis' in more detail.
- J84.1 Other interstitial pulmonary diseases with fibrosis NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE J84.10 Pulmonary fibrosis, unspecified
- J84.11 Idiopathic interstitial pneumonia NON-BILLABLE
- J84.111 Idiopathic interstitial pneumonia, not otherwise specified BILLABLE
- J84.112 Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis BILLABLE
- J84.113 Idiopathic non-specific interstitial pneumonitis BILLABLE
- J84.114 Acute interstitial pneumonitis BILLABLE
- J84.115 Respiratory bronchiolitis interstitial lung disease BILLABLE
- J84.116 Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia BILLABLE
- J84.117 Desquamative interstitial pneumonia BILLABLE
- BILLABLE J84.17 Other interstitial pulmonary diseases with fibrosis in diseases classified elsewhere
The ICD code J841 is used to code Acute interstitial pneumonitis
Acute interstitial pneumonitis (also known as acute interstitial pneumonia or Hamman–Rich syndrome) is a rare, severe lung disease that usually affects otherwise healthy individuals. There is no known cause or cure.
|ICD 9 Code:
Micrograph of diffuse alveolar damage, the histologic correlate of acute interstitial pneumonitis. H&E stain.
Coding Notes for J84.1 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Pulmonary fibrosis (chronic) due to inhalation of chemicals, gases, fumes or vapors - instead, use code J68.4
- Pulmonary fibrosis (chronic) following radiation - instead, use code J70.1
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia (disorder)
- Idiopathic fibrosing alveolitis (disorder)
- Toxic diffuse interstitial pulmonary fibrosis (disorder)
- Acute idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J84.1 - Other interstitial pulmonary diseases with fibrosis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J84.1. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.