ICD-10-CM Code J84.89
Other specified interstitial pulmonary diseases
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J84.89 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other specified interstitial pulmonary diseases. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for J84.89 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Endogenous lipoid pneumonia
- Interstitial pneumonitis
- Non-specific interstitial pneumonitis NOS
- Organizing pneumonia due to known underlying cause
- Organizing pneumonia NOS
- , if applicable:
- Poisoning due to drug or toxin See Section T51-T65 with fifth or sixth character to indicate intent), for toxic pneumonopathy
- Underlying cause of pneumonopathy, if known
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code, for adverse effect, to identify drug See Section T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5), if drug-induced
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia - instead, use code J84.116
- Idiopathic non-specific interstitial pneumonitis - instead, use code J84.113
- Lipoid pneumonia, exogenous or unspecified - instead, use code J69.1
- Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia - instead, use code J84.2
- DRG Group #196-198 - Interstitial lung disease with MCC.
- DRG Group #196-198 - Interstitial lung disease with CC.
- DRG Group #196-198 - Interstitial lung disease without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Bronchiolitis obliterans with usual interstitial pneumonitis (disorder)
- Primary atypical interstitial pneumonia (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J84.89 - Other specified interstitial pulmonary diseases'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J84.89. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J84.89 and a single ICD9 code, 515 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.