ICD-10-CM Code J95.4
Chemical pneumonitis due to anesthesia
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J95.4 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of chemical pneumonitis due to anesthesia. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J954 is used to code Mendelson's syndrome
Coding Notes for J95.4 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Mendelson's syndrome
- Postprocedural aspiration pneumonia
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug (T41.- with fifth or sixth character 5) See code T41.-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Aspiration pneumonitis due to anesthesia complicating labor and delivery - instead, use code O74.0
- Aspiration pneumonitis due to anesthesia complicating pregnancy - instead, use Code O29
- Aspiration pneumonitis due to anesthesia complicating the puerperium - instead, use code O89.01
- DRG Group #205-206 - Other respiratory system diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #205-206 - Other respiratory system diagnoses without MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J95.4 - Chemical pneumonitis due to anesthesia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J95.4. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J95.4 and a single ICD9 code, 997.39 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.