ICD-10-CM Code J98.5
Diseases of mediastinum, not elsewhere classified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J98.5 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of diseases of mediastinum, not elsewhere classified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J985 is used to code Mediastinitis
Mediastinitis is inflammation of the tissues in the mid-chest, or mediastinum. It can be either acute or chronic.
|ICD 9 Code:||519.2|
Coding Notes for J98.5 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Fibrosis of mediastinum
- Hernia of mediastinum
- Retraction of mediastinum
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Abscess of mediastinum - instead, use code J85.3
- DRG Group #177-179 - Respiratory infections and inflammations with MCC.
- DRG Group #177-179 - Respiratory infections and inflammations with CC.
- DRG Group #177-179 - Respiratory infections and inflammations without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J98.5 - Diseases of mediastinum, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J98.5. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J98.5 and a single ICD9 code, 519.3 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.