ICD-10-CM Code K05.21
Aggressive periodontitis, localized
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
K05.21 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of aggressive periodontitis, localized. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code K052 is used to code Pericoronitis
Pericoronitis (from the Greek peri, "around", Latin corona "crown" and -itis, "inflammation") also known as operculitis, is inflammation of the soft tissues surrounding the crown of a partially erupted tooth, including the gingiva (gums) and the dental follicle. The soft tissue covering a partially erupted tooth is known as an operculum, an area which can be difficult to access with normal oral hygiene methods. The synonym operculitis technically refers to inflammation of the operculum alone.
|ICD 9 Code:||523.3|
Pericoronitis associated with the lower right third molar (wisdom tooth).
Coding Notes for K05.21 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Periodontal abscess
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with CC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Periodontal abscess (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K05.21 - Aggressive periodontitis, localized'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K05.21. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 523.31 was previously used, K05.21 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.