ICD-10-CM Code K12
Stomatitis and related lesions
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code K12 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of K12 that describes the diagnosis 'stomatitis and related lesions' in more detail.
- K12 Stomatitis and related lesions NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE K12.0
- BILLABLE K12.1
- BILLABLE K12.2 and
- K12.3 NON-BILLABLE
- K12.30 Oral mucositis (ulcerative), unspecified BILLABLE
- K12.31 Oral mucositis (ulcerative) due to antineoplastic therapy BILLABLE
- K12.32 Oral mucositis (ulcerative) due to other drugs BILLABLE
- K12.33 Oral mucositis (ulcerative) due to radiation BILLABLE
- K12.39 Other oral mucositis (ulcerative) BILLABLE
The ICD code K12 is used to code Mouth ulcer
A mouth ulcer (also termed an oral ulcer, or a mucosal ulcer) is an ulcer that occurs on the mucous membrane of the oral cavity. Mouth ulcers are very common, occurring in association with many diseases and by many different mechanisms, but usually there is no serious underlying cause.
|ICD 9 Code:||528.9|
A mouth ulcer (in this case associated with aphthous stomatitis) on the labial mucosa (lining of the lower lip).
Coding Notes for K12 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Alcohol abuse and dependence See code F10.-
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- Exposure to tobacco smoke in the perinatal period See code P96.81
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Cancrum oris - instead, use code A69.0
- Cheilitis - instead, use code K13.0
- Gangrenous stomatitis - instead, use code A69.0
- Herpesviral [herpes simplex] gingivostomatitis - instead, use code B00.2
- Noma - instead, use code A69.0
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K12 - Stomatitis and related lesions'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K12. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.