ICD-10-CM Code K12.1
Other forms of stomatitis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
K12.1 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other forms of stomatitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code K121 is used to code Denture-related stomatitis
denture-related stomatitis (also termed denture sore mouth, denture stomatitis, chronic atrophic candidiasis, candida-associated denture induced stomatitis, and denture-associated erythematous stomatitis) is a common condition where mild inflammation and redness of the oral mucous membrane occurs beneath a denture. in about 90% of cases, candida species are involved. this is normally a harmless component of the oral microbiota in many people. denture-related stomatitis is the most common form of oral candidiasis (a yeast infection of the mouth). it is more common in elderly people, and in those who wear a complete upper denture (a denture which replaces all the upper teeth, worn by someone with no natural teeth in their upper jaw). denture-related stomatitis is more likely to develop when the denture is left constantly in the mouth, rather than removing it during sleep, and when the denture is not cleaned regularly.
Coding Notes for K12.1 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Stomatitis NOS
- Denture stomatitis
- Ulcerative stomatitis
- Vesicular stomatitis
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with CC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Traumatic ulcer of oral mucosa (disorder)
- Classical histoplasmosis oral ulceration (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K12.1 - Other forms of stomatitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K12.1. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code K12.1 and a single ICD9 code, 528.09 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.