ICD-10-CM Code K12.2
Cellulitis and abscess of mouth
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
K12.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of cellulitis and abscess of mouth. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code K122 is used to code Ludwig's angina
Ludwig's angina, otherwise known as angina ludovici, is a serious, potentially life-threatening cellulitis, or connective tissue infection, of the floor of the mouth, usually occurring in adults with concomitant dental infections and if left untreated, may obstruct the airways, necessitating tracheotomy. It is named after the German physician Wilhelm Friedrich von Ludwig who first described this condition in 1836. Other names include "angina Maligna" and "Morbus Strangularis".
|ICD 9 Code:||528.3|
Swelling in the submandibular area in a patient with Ludwig's angina.
Coding Notes for K12.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Cellulitis of mouth (floor)
- Submandibular abscess
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Abscess of salivary gland - instead, use code K11.3
- Abscess of tongue - instead, use code K14.0
- Periapical abscess (K04.6-K04.7) - instead, use code K04.6-
- Periodontal abscess - instead, use code K05.21
- Peritonsillar abscess - instead, use Code J36
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with CC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Cellulitis and abscess of submandibular region (disorder)
- Abscess of uvula of palate (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K12.2 - Cellulitis and abscess of mouth'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K12.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code K12.2 and a single ICD9 code, 682.0 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.