ICD-10-CM Code K14
Diseases of tongue
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code K14 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the nine child codes of K14 that describes the diagnosis 'diseases of tongue' in more detail.
- K14 Diseases of tongue NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code K14 is used to code Oral and maxillofacial pathology
Oral and maxillofacial pathology (also termed oral pathology, stomatognathic disease, dental disease, or mouth disease) refers to the diseases of the mouth ("oral cavity" or "stoma"), jaws ("maxillae" or "gnath") and related structures such as salivary glands, temporomandibular joints, facial muscles and perioral skin (the skin around the mouth). The mouth is an important organ with many different functions. It is also prone to a variety of medical and dental disorders.
|MeSH Codes:||D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D009057, D014060, D014060, D014060|
|ICD 9 Codes:||520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 529, 750.0, 750.1|
Coding Notes for K14 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Alcohol abuse and dependence See code F10.-
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Erythroplakia - instead, use code K13.29
- Focal epithelial hyperplasia - instead, use code K13.29
- Leukedema of tongue - instead, use code K13.29
- Leukoplakia of tongue - instead, use code K13.21
- Hairy leukoplakia - instead, use code K13.3
- Macroglossia (congenital) - instead, use code Q38.2
- Submucous fibrosis of tongue - instead, use code K13.5
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K14 - Diseases of tongue'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K14. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.