ICD-10-CM Code K14.0
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
K14.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of glossitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code K140 is used to code Glossitis
Glossitis can mean soreness of the tongue, or more usually inflammation with depapillation of the dorsal surface of the tongue (loss of the lingual papillae), leaving a smooth and erythematous (reddened) surface, (sometimes specifically termed atrophic glossitis). In a wider sense, glossitis can mean inflammation of the tongue generally. Glossitis is often caused by nutritional deficiencies and may be painless or cause discomfort. Glossitis usually responds well to treatment if the cause is identified and corrected. Tongue soreness caused by glossitis is differentiated from burning mouth syndrome, where there is no identifiable change in the appearance of the tongue, and there are no identifiable causes.
|ICD 9 Code:||529.0|
Glossitis in a person with scarlet fever ("red strawberry tongue").
Coding Notes for K14.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Abscess of tongue
- Ulceration (traumatic) of tongue
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Atrophic glossitis - instead, use code K14.4
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with MCC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases with CC.
- DRG Group #157-159 - Dental and oral diseases without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Traumatic ulceration of tongue (disorder)
- Riga-Fede disease (disorder)
- Cellulitis of tongue (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K14.0 - Glossitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K14.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 529.0 was previously used, K14.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.