ICD-10-CM Code K56
Paralytic ileus and intestinal obstruction without hernia
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code K56 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the eight child codes of K56 that describes the diagnosis 'paralytic ileus and intestinal obstruction without hernia' in more detail.
- K56 Paralytic ileus and intestinal obstruction without hernia NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code K56 is used to code Bowel obstruction
Bowel obstruction or intestinal obstruction is a mechanical or functional obstruction of the intestines, preventing the normal transit of the products of digestion. It can occur at any level distal to the duodenum of the small intestine and is a medical emergency. The condition is often treated conservatively over a period of 2–5 days with the patient's progress regularly monitored by an assigned physician. Surgical procedures are performed on occasion however, in life-threatening cases, such as when the root cause is a fully lodged foreign object or malignant tumor.
|ICD 9 Code:||560|
Upright abdominal X-ray demonstrating a small bowel obstruction. Note multiple air fluid levels.
Coding Notes for K56 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Congenital stricture or stenosis of intestine - instead, use Section Q41-Q42
- Cystic fibrosis with meconium ileus - instead, use code E84.11
- Ischemic stricture of intestine - instead, use code K55.1
- Meconium ileus NOS - instead, use code P76.0
- Neonatal intestinal obstructions classifiable to P76.- - instead, use code P76.-
- Obstruction of duodenum - instead, use code K31.5
- Postprocedural intestinal obstruction - instead, use code K91.3
- Stenosis of anus or rectum - instead, use code K62.4
- Intestinal obstruction with hernia - instead, use Section K40-K46
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K56 - Paralytic ileus and intestinal obstruction without hernia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K56. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.