ICD-10-CM Code K65
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code K65 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the seven child codes of K65 that describes the diagnosis 'peritonitis' in more detail.
- K65 Peritonitis NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code K65 is used to code Peritonitis
Peritonitis is an inflammation of the peritoneum, the thin tissue that lines the inner wall of the abdomen and covers most of the abdominal organs. Peritonitis may be localized or generalized, and may result from infection (often due to rupture of a hollow abdominal organ as may occur in abdominal trauma or inflamed appendix) or from a non-infectious process.
|ICD 9 Code:||567|
Coding Notes for K65 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code See Section B95-B97, to identify infectious agent
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute appendicitis with generalized peritonitis - instead, use code K35.2
- Aseptic peritonitis - instead, use code T81.6
- Benign paroxysmal peritonitis - instead, use code E85.0
- Chemical peritonitis - instead, use code T81.6
- Diverticulitis of both small and large intestine with peritonitis - instead, use code K57.4-
- Diverticulitis of colon with peritonitis - instead, use code K57.2-
- Diverticulitis of intestine, NOS, with peritonitis - instead, use code K57.8-
- Diverticulitis of small intestine with peritonitis - instead, use code K57.0-
- Gonococcal peritonitis - instead, use code A54.85
- Neonatal peritonitis (P78.0-P78.1) - instead, use code P78.0-
- Pelvic peritonitis, female (N73.3-N73.5) - instead, use code N73.3-
- Periodic familial peritonitis - instead, use code E85.0
- Peritonitis due to talc or other foreign substance - instead, use code T81.6
- Peritonitis in chlamydia - instead, use code A74.81
- Peritonitis in diphtheria - instead, use code A36.89
- Peritonitis in syphilis (late) - instead, use code A52.74
- Peritonitis in tuberculosis - instead, use code A18.31
- Peritonitis with or following abortion or ectopic or molar pregnancy - instead, use Section O00-O07, O08.0)
- Peritonitis with or following appendicitis - instead, use code K35.-
- Peritonitis with or following diverticular disease of intestine - instead, use code K57.-
- Puerperal peritonitis - instead, use Code O85
- Retroperitoneal infections - instead, use code K68.-
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K65 - Peritonitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K65. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.