ICD-10-CM Code K71
Toxic liver disease
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code K71 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the ten child codes of K71 that describes the diagnosis 'toxic liver disease' in more detail.
- K71 Toxic liver disease NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE K71.0 Toxic liver disease
- K71.1 Toxic liver disease NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE K71.2 Toxic liver disease
- BILLABLE K71.3 Toxic liver disease
- BILLABLE K71.4 Toxic liver disease
- K71.5 Toxic liver disease NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE K71.6 Toxic liver disease
- BILLABLE K71.7 Toxic liver disease
- BILLABLE K71.8 Toxic liver disease
- BILLABLE K71.9 Toxic liver
Coding Notes for K71 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Drug-induced idiosyncratic (unpredictable) liver disease
- Drug-induced toxic (predictable) liver disease
- Poisoning due to drug or toxin, if applicable See Section T36-T65 with fifth or sixth character 1-4 or 6)
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug See Section T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5)
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Alcoholic liver disease - instead, use code K70.-
- Budd-Chiari syndrome - instead, use code I82.0
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K71 - Toxic liver disease'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K71. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.