ICD-10-CM Code K72
Hepatic failure, not elsewhere classified
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code K72 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of K72 that describes the diagnosis 'hepatic failure, not elsewhere classified' in more detail.
- K72 Hepatic failure, not elsewhere classified NON-BILLABLE
- K72.0 NON-BILLABLE
- K72.1 NON-BILLABLE
- K72.9 Hepatic failure, NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code K72 is used to code Acute liver failure
Acute liver failure is the appearance of severe complications rapidly after the first signs of liver disease (such as jaundice), and indicates that the liver has sustained severe damage (loss of function of 80–90% of liver cells). The complications are hepatic encephalopathy and impaired protein synthesis (as measured by the levels of serum albumin and the prothrombin time in the blood). The 1993 classification defines hyperacute as within 1 week, acute as 8–28 days and subacute as 4–12 weeks. It reflects the fact that the pace of disease evolution strongly influences prognosis. Underlying etiology is the other significant determinant of outcome.
|ICD 9 Code:||570|
Acute liver failure (with hepatocellular necrosis and sinusoidal bleeding) from Marburg virus, a rare cause
Coding Notes for K72 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Acute hepatitis NEC, with hepatic failure
- Fulminant hepatitis NEC, with hepatic failure
- Hepatic encephalopathy NOS
- Liver (cell) necrosis with hepatic failure
- Malignant hepatitis NEC, with hepatic failure
- Yellow liver atrophy or dystrophy
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Alcoholic hepatic failure - instead, use code K70.4
- Hepatic failure with toxic liver disease - instead, use code K71.1-
- Icterus of newborn - instead, use Section P55-P59
- Postprocedural hepatic failure - instead, use code K91.82
- Viral hepatitis with hepatic coma - instead, use Section B15-B19
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Hepatic failure complicating abortion or ectopic or molar pregnancy - instead, use Section O00-O07, O08.8)
- Hepatic failure complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium - instead, use code O26.6-