ICD-10-CM Code K76.6
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
K76.6 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of portal hypertension. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code K766 is used to code Portal hypertension
Portal hypertension is hypertension (high blood pressure) in the hepatic portal system, which is composed of the portal vein and its branches and tributaries. Portal hypertension is defined as elevation of hepatic venous pressure gradient. In clinical practice the pressure is not measured directly until the decision to place a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt has been made. Part of the procedure, a hepatic vein wedge pressure is measured with the assumption of no pressure drop across the liver yielding portal vein pressure.
|ICD 9 Code:||572.3|
The portal vein and its tributaries
Coding Notes for K76.6 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code for any associated complications, such as:
- Portal hypertensive gastropathy See code K31.89
- DRG Group #441-443 - Disorders of liver except malig, cirr, alc hepa with MCC.
- DRG Group #441-443 - Disorders of liver except malig, cirr, alc hepa with CC.
- DRG Group #441-443 - Disorders of liver except malig, cirr, alc hepa without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Bacterial portal cirrhosis (disorder)
- Portal hypertension due to cystic fibrosis (disorder)
- Portopulmonary hypertension (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K76.6 - Portal hypertension'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K76.6. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 572.3 was previously used, K76.6 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.