ICD-10-CM Code K83.1
Obstruction of bile duct
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
K83.1 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of obstruction of bile duct. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code K831 is used to code Cholestasis
Cholestasis is a condition where bile cannot flow from the liver to the duodenum. The two basic distinctions are an obstructive type of cholestasis where there is a mechanical blockage in the duct system that can occur from a gallstone or malignancy, and metabolic types of cholestasis which are disturbances in bile formation that can occur because of genetic defects or acquired as a side effect of many medications.
|ICD 9 Code:||576.2|
Micrograph showing bile (yellow) stasis, i.e. cholestasis. H&E stain.
Coding Notes for K83.1 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Occlusion of bile duct without cholelithiasis
- Stenosis of bile duct without cholelithiasis
- Stricture of bile duct without cholelithiasis
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Congenital obstruction of bile duct - instead, use code Q44.3
- Obstruction of bile duct with cholelithiasis - instead, use code K80.-
- DRG Group #444-446 - Disorders of the biliary tract with MCC.
- DRG Group #444-446 - Disorders of the biliary tract with CC.
- DRG Group #444-446 - Disorders of the biliary tract without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Cholestasis of pregnancy (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'K83.1 - Obstruction of bile duct'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code K83.1. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 576.2 was previously used, K83.1 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.