ICD-10-CM Code L02.0
Cutaneous abscess, furuncle and carbuncle of face
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code L02.0 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of L02.0 that describes the diagnosis 'cutaneous abscess, furuncle and carbuncle of face' in more detail.
- L02.0 Cutaneous abscess, furuncle and carbuncle of face NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code L02 is used to code Boil
A boil, also called a furuncle, is a deep folliculitis, infection of the hair follicle. It is most commonly caused by infection by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus, resulting in a painful swollen area on the skin caused by an accumulation of pus and dead tissue. Boils which are expanded are basically pus-filled nodules. Individual boils clustered together are called carbuncles. Most human infections are caused by coagulase-positive S. aureus strains, notable for the bacteria's ability to produce coagulase, an enzyme that can clot blood. Almost any organ system can be infected by S. aureus.
|ICD 9 Code:||680.9|
Coding Notes for L02.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Abscess of ear, external - instead, use code H60.0
- Abscess of eyelid - instead, use code H00.0
- Abscess of head [any part, except face] - instead, use code L02.8
- Abscess of lacrimal gland - instead, use code H04.0
- Abscess of lacrimal passages - instead, use code H04.3
- Abscess of mouth - instead, use code K12.2
- Abscess of nose - instead, use code J34.0
- Abscess of orbit - instead, use code H05.0
- Submandibular abscess - instead, use code K12.2
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Cellulitis and abscess of nose (external) (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'L02.0 - Cutaneous abscess, furuncle and carbuncle of face'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code L02.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.