ICD-10-CM Code L04
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code L04 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of L04 that describes the diagnosis 'acute lymphadenitis' in more detail.
- L04 Acute lymphadenitis NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code L04 is used to code Lymphadenopathy
Lymphadenopathy or lymphadenitis refers to lymph nodes which are abnormal in size, number or consistency and is often used as a synonym for swollen or enlarged lymph nodes. Common causes of lymphadenopathy are infection, autoimmune disease, or malignancy.
|MeSH Codes:||D008206, D008206, D008206, D008206, D008206|
|ICD 9 Codes:||289.1, 289.2, 289.3, 683, 785.6|
Neck lymphadenopathy associated with infectious mononucleosis
Coding Notes for L04 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Abscess (acute) of lymph nodes, except mesenteric
- Acute lymphadenitis, except mesenteric
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Chronic or subacute lymphadenitis, except mesenteric - instead, use code I88.1
- Enlarged lymph nodes - instead, use code R59.-
- Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease resulting in generalized lymphadenopathy - instead, use Section B20
- Lymphadenitis NOS - instead, use code I88.9
- Nonspecific mesenteric lymphadenitis - instead, use code I88.0
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'L04 - Acute lymphadenitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code L04. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.