ICD-10-CM Code M32
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code M32 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of M32 that describes the diagnosis 'systemic lupus erythematosus (sle)' in more detail.
- M32 Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE M32.0 lupus erythematosus
- M32.1 Systemic lupus erythematosus NON-BILLABLE
- M32.10 Systemic lupus erythematosus, organ or system involvement unspecified BILLABLE
- M32.11 Endocarditis in systemic lupus erythematosus BILLABLE
- M32.12 Pericarditis in systemic lupus erythematosus BILLABLE
- M32.13 Lung involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus BILLABLE
- M32.14 Glomerular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus BILLABLE
- M32.15 Tubulo-interstitial nephropathy in systemic lupus erythematosus BILLABLE
- M32.19 Other organ or system involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus BILLABLE
- BILLABLE M32.8 lupus erythematosus
- BILLABLE M32.9 Systemic lupus
The ICD code M32 is used to code Systemic lupus erythematosus
Systemic lupus erythematosus, often abbreviated as SLE or lupus, is a systemic autoimmune disease (or autoimmune connective tissue disease) in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. There are many kinds of lupus. The most common type is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), which affects many internal organs in the body. SLE most often harms the heart, joints, skin, lungs, blood vessels, liver, kidneys, and nervous system. The course of the disease is unpredictable, with periods of illness (called flare-ups) alternating with remissions.
|ICD 9 Code:||710.0|
Photograph of a young woman with the typical "butterfly rash" found in lupus
Coding Notes for M32 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Lupus erythematosus (discoid) (NOS) - instead, use code L93.0
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'M32 - Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code M32. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.