ICD-10-CM Code M45
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code M45 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the ten child codes of M45 that describes the diagnosis 'ankylosing spondylitis' in more detail.
- M45 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.0 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.1 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.2 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.3 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.4 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.5 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.6 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.7 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.8 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
- M45.9 Ankylosing spondylitis NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code M45 is used to code Spondyloarthropathy
Spondyloarthropathy or spondyloarthrosis refers to any joint disease of the vertebral column. As such, it is a class or category of diseases rather than a single, specific entity. It differs from spondylopathy, which is a disease of the vertebra itself. However, many conditions involve both spondylopathy and spondyloarthropathy.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||720.721722723724, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724|
Coding Notes for M45 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Rheumatoid arthritis of spine
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Arthropathy in Reiter's disease - instead, use code M02.3-
- Juvenile (ankylosing) spondylitis - instead, use code M08.1
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Behçet's disease - instead, use code M35.2
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'M45 - Ankylosing spondylitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code M45. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.