ICD-10-CM Code N08
Glomerular disorders in diseases classified elsewhere
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Manifestation CodeCertain ICD-10-CM codes identify an underlying condition known as an etiology code. Conditions that arise as a result of an underlying condition (etiology), are referred to as Manifestations. In ICD-10-CM, etiology codes must be coded first, followed by the manifestation codes. When a condition requires etiology and manifestation codes, there is a "use additional code" note following the etiology code and a "code first" note following the manifestation code.
N08 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of glomerular disorders in diseases classified elsewhere. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N08 is used to code Kidney disease
Kidney disease, also known as nephropathy or renal disease, is damage to or disease of a kidney. Nephritis is inflammatory kidney disease. Nephrosis is noninflammatory nephropathy. Kidney disease usually causes kidney failure (renal failure) to more or less degree, with the amount depending on the type of disease. In precise usage, disease denotes the structural and etiologic disease entity whereas failure denotes the dysfunction (lack of working well, that is, impaired renal function); but in common usage these meanings overlap; for example, the terms chronic kidney disease and chronic renal failure are usually considered synonymous. Acute kidney disease has often been called acute renal failure, although nephrologists now often tend to call it acute kidney injury.
|MeSH Codes:||D007674, , , , , , , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589|
Coding Notes for N08 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Underlying disease, such as:
- Amyloidosis See code E85.-
- Congenital syphilis See code A50.5
- Cryoglobulinemia See code D89.1
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation See Code D65
- Gout (M1A.-, M10.-) See code M1A.-
- Microscopic polyangiitis See code M31.7
- Multiple myeloma See code C90.0-
- Sepsis (A40.0-A41.9) See code A40.0-
- Sickle-cell disease (D57.0-D57.8) See code D57.0-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Glomerulonephritis, nephritis and nephropathy (in):
- Antiglomerular basement membrane disease - instead, use code M31.0
- Diabetes - instead, use Section E08-E13 with .21)
- Gonococcal - instead, use code A54.21
- Goodpasture's syndrome - instead, use code M31.0
- Hemolytic-uremic syndrome - instead, use code D59.3
- Lupus - instead, use code M32.14
- Mumps - instead, use code B26.83
- Syphilis - instead, use code A52.75
- Systemic lupus erythematosus - instead, use code M32.14
- Wegener's granulomatosis - instead, use code M31.31
- Pyelonephritis in diseases classified elsewhere - instead, use Code N16
- Renal tubulo-interstitial disorders classified elsewhere - instead, use Code N16
- DRG Group #698-700 - Other kidney and urinary tract diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #698-700 - Other kidney and urinary tract diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #698-700 - Other kidney and urinary tract diagnoses without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Juxtaglomerular hyperplasia co-occurrent with secondary hyperaldosteronism (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- This is a manifestation code for use in a secondary position
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code N08 and a single ICD9 code, 583.81 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.