ICD-10-CM Code N17.0
Acute kidney failure with tubular necrosis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
N17.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute kidney failure with tubular necrosis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N170 is used to code Acute tubular necrosis
Acute tubular necrosis (ATN) is a medical condition involving the death of tubular epithelial cells that form the renal tubules of the kidneys. ATN presents with acute kidney injury (AKI) and is one of the most common causes of AKI. Common causes of ATN include low blood pressure and use of nephrotoxic drugs. The presence of "muddy brown casts" of epithelial cells found in the urine during urinalysis is pathognomonic for ATN. Management relies on aggressive treatment of the factors that precipitated ATN (e.g. hydration and cessation of the offending drug). Because the tubular cells continually replace themselves, the overall prognosis for ATN is quite good if the cause is corrected, and recovery is likely within 7 to 21 days.
|ICD 9 Code:||584.5|
Coding Notes for N17.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Acute tubular necrosis
- Renal tubular necrosis
- Tubular necrosis NOS
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with CC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Post-traumatic acute tubular necrosis (disorder)
- Acute tubular necrosis (disorder)
- Acute renal failure due to tubular necrosis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N17.0 - Acute kidney failure with tubular necrosis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N17.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 584.5 was previously used, N17.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.
Parent Code: N17 - Acute kidney failure