ICD-10-CM Code N17.2
Acute kidney failure with medullary necrosis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
N17.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute kidney failure with medullary necrosis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N172 is used to code Renal papillary necrosis
Renal papillary necrosis is a form of nephropathy involving the necrosis of the renal papilla. Lesions that characterize renal papillary necrosis come from an impairment of the blood supply and from subsequent ischemic necrosis that is diffuse.
|ICD 9 Code:||584.7|
Frontal section through the kidney
Coding Notes for N17.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Medullary [papillary] necrosis NOS
- Acute medullary [papillary] necrosis
- Renal medullary [papillary] necrosis
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with CC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute pyelitis with renal medullary necrosis (disorder)
- Acute pyonephrosis with renal medullary necrosis (disorder)
- Acute pyelonephritis with medullary necrosis (disorder)
- Chronic pyelonephritis with medullary necrosis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N17.2 - Acute kidney failure with medullary necrosis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N17.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code N17.2 and a single ICD9 code, 584.7 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.