ICD-10-CM Code N18.4
Chronic kidney disease, stage 4 (severe)
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
N18.4 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of chronic kidney disease, stage 4 (severe). A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N18 is used to code Chronic kidney disease
Chronic kidney disease (CKD), also known as chronic renal disease, is progressive loss in kidney function over a period of months or years. The symptoms of worsening kidney function are not specific, and might include feeling generally unwell and experiencing a reduced appetite. Often, chronic kidney disease is diagnosed as a result of screening of people known to be at risk of kidney problems, such as those with high blood pressure or diabetes and those with a blood relative with CKD. This disease may also be identified when it leads to one of its recognized complications, such as cardiovascular disease, anemia, pericarditis or renal osteodystrophy (the latter included in the novel term CKD-MBD). CKD is a long-term form of kidney disease; thus, it is differentiated from acute kidney disease (acute kidney injury) in that the reduction in kidney function must be present for over 3 months. CKD is an internationally recognized public health problem affecting 5–10% of the world population.
|MeSH Codes:||D007676, D007676, D007676, D007676, D007676, D007676, D007676|
|ICD 9 Codes:||585.9, 585.1, 585.2, 585.3, 585.4, 585.5, 403|
Uremic frost on the forehead and scalp of a young man who presented with complaints of chronic anorexia and fatigue with blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine levels around 100 and 50 mg/dl, respectively
- DRG Group #008 - Simultaneous pancreas or kidney transplant.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with CC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Malignant hypertensive chronic kidney disease stage 4 (disorder)
- Hypertensive heart AND chronic kidney disease stage 4 (disorder)
- Chronic kidney disease stage 4 due to type 1 diabetes mellitus (disorder)
- Chronic kidney disease stage 4 associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus (disorder)
- Chronic kidney disease stage 4 due to hypertension (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for additional code to fully describe disease or condition
- Possible requirement for causative disease code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N18.4 - Chronic kidney disease, stage 4 (severe)'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N18.4. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 585.4 was previously used, N18.4 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.