ICD-10-CM Code N19
Unspecified kidney failure
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
N19 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of unspecified kidney failure. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N19 is used to code Uremia
Uremia or uraemia (see spelling differences) can be translated as "urea in the blood". Urea is one of the primary components of urine. It can be defined as an excess of amino acid and protein metabolism end products, such as urea and creatinine, in the blood that would be normally excreted in the urine. The Uremic Syndrome can be defined as the terminal clinical manifestation of kidney failure (also called renal failure). It is the signs, symptoms and results from laboratory tests which result from inadequate excretory, regulatory and endocrine function of the kidneys. Both uremia and the uremic syndrome have been used interchangeably to define a very high plasma urea concentration that is the result of renal failure. The latter definition will be used for the rest of the article.
|MeSH Codes:||D014511, D014511, D014511|
|ICD 9 Codes:||585, 586, 788.9|
Coding Notes for N19 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Uremia NOS
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute kidney failure - instead, use code N17.-
- Chronic kidney disease - instead, use code N18.-
- Chronic uremia - instead, use code N18.9
- Extrarenal uremia - instead, use code R39.2
- Prerenal uremia - instead, use code R39.2
- Renal insufficiency (acute) - instead, use code N28.9
- Uremia of newborn - instead, use code P96.0
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with CC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Non-functioning kidney (disorder)
- Renal failure-associated hyperphosphatemia (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Possible requirement for additional code to fully describe disease or condition
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N19 - Unspecified kidney failure'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N19. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 586 was previously used, N19 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.