ICD-10-CM Code O85
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Female OnlyCode is only used for female patients.
Maternity OnlyCode is only used for diagnoses related to pregnancy.
O85 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of puerperal sepsis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code O85 is used to code Puerperal disorder
Coding Notes for O85 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Postpartum sepsis
- Puerperal peritonitis
- Puerperal pyemia
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code See Section B95-B97, to identify infectious agent
- Code See code R65.2- to identify severe sepsis, if applicable
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Fever of unknown origin following delivery - instead, use code O86.4
- Genital tract infection following delivery - instead, use code O86.1-
- Obstetric pyemic and septic embolism - instead, use code O88.3-
- Puerperal septic thrombophlebitis - instead, use code O86.81
- Urinary tract infection following delivery - instead, use code O86.2-
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Sepsis during labor - instead, use code O75.3
- DRG Group #769 - Postpartum and post abortion diagnoses with operating room procedure.
- DRG Group #774 - Vaginal delivery with complicating diagnoses.
- DRG Group #776 - Postpartum and post abortion diagnoses without operating room procedure.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Puerperal septicemia (disorder)
- Puerperal septicemia - delivered with postnatal complication (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'O85 - Puerperal sepsis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code O85. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code O85 and a single ICD9 code, 670.24 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.