ICD-10-CM Code O88
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code O88 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of O88 that describes the diagnosis 'obstetric embolism' in more detail.
- O88 Obstetric embolism NON-BILLABLE
- O88.0 Obstetric embolism NON-BILLABLE
- O88.1 embolism NON-BILLABLE
- O88.2 Obstetric NON-BILLABLE
- O88.3 Obstetric embolism NON-BILLABLE
- O88.8 embolism NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code O88 is used to code Embolism
An embolism is the lodging of an embolus, which may be a blood clot, fat globule, gas bubble or foreign material in the bloodstream. This can cause a blockage in a blood vessel. Such a blockage (vascular occlusion) may affect a part of the body distanced from the actual site of the embolism. This is in contrast to a thrombus, which causes a blockage at the site of origin.
|ICD 9 Code:||444.9|
Coding Notes for O88 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Embolism complicating abortion NOS - instead, use code O03.2
- Embolism complicating ectopic or molar pregnancy - instead, use code O08.2
- Embolism complicating failed attempted abortion - instead, use code O07.2
- Embolism complicating induced abortion - instead, use code O04.7
- Embolism complicating spontaneous abortion (O03.2, O03.7) - instead, use code O03.2
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'O88 - Obstetric embolism'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code O88. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.