ICD-10-CM Code O99.34
Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, childbirth, and the puerperium
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code O99.34 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of O99.34 that describes the diagnosis 'oth mental disorders comp pregnancy, chldbrth, and the puerp' in more detail.
- O99.34 Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, childbirth, and the puerperium NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE O99.340 Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, unspecified trimester
- BILLABLE O99.341 Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, first trimester
- BILLABLE O99.342 Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, second trimester
- BILLABLE O99.343 Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, third trimester
- BILLABLE O99.344 Other mental disorders complicating childbirth
- BILLABLE O99.345 Other mental disorders complicating the puerperium
The ICD code O993 is used to code Chorea gravidarum
Chorea gravidarum is a rare type of chorea which presents with involuntary abnormal movement, characterized by abrupt, brief, nonrhythmic, nonrepetitive movement of any limb, often associated with nonpatterned facial grimaces. It is a complication of pregnancy which can be associated with eclampsia and its effects upon the basal ganglia. It is not an etiologically or pathologically distinct morbid entity but a generic term for chorea of any cause starting during pregnancy. It is associated with history of Sydenham's chorea. It mostly occurs in young patients; the average age is 22 years.
Coding Notes for O99.34 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Conditions in See Section F01-F09 and F20-F99
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Postpartum mood disturbance - instead, use code O90.6
- Postnatal psychosis - instead, use Code F53
- Puerperal psychosis - instead, use Code F53
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'O99.34 - Other mental disorders complicating pregnancy, childbirth, and the puerperium'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code O99.34. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.