ICD-10-CM Code P13
Birth injury to skeleton
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code P13 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the seven child codes of P13 that describes the diagnosis 'birth injury to skeleton' in more detail.
- P13 Birth injury to skeleton NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE P13.0 Fracture of skull due to birth injury
- BILLABLE P13.1 Other birth injuries to skull
- BILLABLE P13.2 Birth injury to femur
- BILLABLE P13.3 Birth injury to other long bones
- BILLABLE P13.4 Fracture of clavicle due to birth injury
- BILLABLE P13.8 Birth injuries to other parts of skeleton
- BILLABLE P13.9 Birth injury to skeleton, unspecified
The ICD code P13 is used to code Birth trauma (physical)
Birth trauma (BT) refers to damage of the tissues and organs of a newly delivered child, often as a result of physical pressure or trauma during childbirth. The term also encompasses the long term consequences, often of a cognitive nature, of damage to the brain or cranium. Medical study of birth trauma dates to the 16th century, and the morphological consequences of mishandled delivery are described in Renaissance-era medical literature. Birth injury occupies a unique area of concern and study in the medical canon. In ICD-10 "birth trauma" occupied 49 individual codes (P10-Р15).
|ICD 9 Code:
Position of the child is important for normal birthing procedure, head-first birth is preferred.
Coding Notes for P13 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Birth injury to spine - instead, use code P11.5
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'P13 - Birth injury to skeleton'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code P13. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.