ICD-10-CM Code P24.81
Other neonatal aspiration with respiratory symptoms
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Newborn OnlyCode is only used for patients less than 1 year old.
P24.81 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other neonatal aspiration with respiratory symptoms. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code P24 is used to code Pulmonary aspiration
Upper respiratory tract (pharynx and larynx) and lower respiratory tract (trachea, bronchi, and lung)
Coding Notes for P24.81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Neonatal aspiration pneumonia NEC
- Neonatal aspiration with pneumonitis NEC
- Neonatal aspiration with pneumonia NOS
- Neonatal aspiration with pneumonitis NOS
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify any secondary pulmonary hypertension, if applicable See code I27.2
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Age at onset of clinical finding (observable entity)
- < 29.0 days
- Pneumonitis due to inhalation of vomitus (disorder)
- Pulmonary aspiration of gastric contents (finding)
- Pneumonitis due to inhalation of milk (disorder)
- Neonatal aspiration pneumonia (disorder)
- Aspiration pneumonia due to regurgitated food (disorder)
- Aspiration pneumonia due to inhalation of milk (disorder)
- Recurrent aspiration pneumonia (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'P24.81 - Other neonatal aspiration with respiratory symptoms'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code P24.81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 770.18 was previously used, P24.81 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.