ICD-10-CM Code Q21.2
Atrioventricular septal defect
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
POA Exempt CodeThe Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires medical coders to indicate whether or not a condition was present at the time of admission, in order to properly assign MS-DRG codes. This "Present On Admission" (POA) indicator is recorded on CMS form 4010A.
Q21.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of atrioventricular septal defect. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
POA Indicators on CMS form 4010A are as follows:
|Indicator||Meaning||CMS Will Pay CC/MCC DRG Costs|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission||Yes|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission||No|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||No|
|W||Clinically undetermined. Provider unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||Yes|
|1||Exempt from POA reporting||No|
The ICD code Q212 is used to code Atrioventricular septal defect
Atrioventricular septal defect (AVSD) or atrioventricular canal defect (AVCD), previously known as "common atrioventricular canal" (CAVC) or "endocardial cushion defect", is characterized by a deficiency of the atrioventricular septum of the heart. It is caused by an abnormal or inadequate fusion of the superior and inferior endocardial cushions with the mid portion of the atrial septum and the muscular portion of the ventricular septum.
|ICD 9 Code:||745.6|
Illustration of a atrioventricular septal defect
Coding Notes for Q21.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Common atrioventricular canal
- Endocardial cushion defect
- Ostium primum atrial septal defect (type I)
- DRG Group #306-307 - Cardiac congenital and valvular disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #306-307 - Cardiac congenital and valvular disorders without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- True cleft of common atrioventricular valve leaflet (disorder)
- Spontaneous closure of ventricular septal defect due to accessory tissue of atrioventricular valve (finding)
- Common atrioventricular canal (disorder)
- Congenital abnormality of atrioventricular valve leaflet in atrioventricular septal defect (disorder)
- Congenital abnormality of atrioventricular valve papillary muscle in atrioventricular septal defect (disorder)
- Imperforate common atrioventricular valve (disorder)
- Common atrioventricular valve chordae to outlet septum (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'Q21.2 - Atrioventricular septal defect'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code Q21.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code Q21.2 and a single ICD9 code, 745.69 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.