ICD-10-CM Code R33.8
Other retention of urine
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
R33.8 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other retention of urine. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code R33 is used to code Urinary retention
Urinary retention, also known as ischuria, is an inability to completely empty the bladder. It is a common complication of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), though it can also be caused by:
|ICD 9 Code:||788.2|
Urinary retention with greatly enlarged bladder at CT.
Coding Notes for R33.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- , if applicable, any causal condition, such as:
- Enlarged prostate See code N40.1
- DRG Group #695-696 - Kidney and urinary tract signs and symptoms with MCC.
- DRG Group #695-696 - Kidney and urinary tract signs and symptoms without MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute-on-chronic retention of urine (disorder)
- Chronic retention of urine (disorder)
- Retention of urine due to occlusion of Foley catheter (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R33.8 - Other retention of urine'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R33.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code R33.8 and a single ICD9 code, 788.29 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.