ICD-10-CM Code R40.2
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code R40.2 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of R40.2 that describes the diagnosis 'coma' in more detail.
- R40.2 Coma NON-BILLABLE
- R40.20 NON-BILLABLE
- R40.21 Coma NON-BILLABLE
- R40.22 Coma NON-BILLABLE
- R40.221 Coma scale, best verbal response, none NON-BILLABLE
- R40.222 Coma scale, best verbal response, incomprehensible words NON-BILLABLE
- R40.223 Coma scale, best verbal response, inappropriate words NON-BILLABLE
- R40.224 Coma scale, best verbal response, confused conversation NON-BILLABLE
- R40.225 Coma scale, best verbal response, oriented NON-BILLABLE
- R40.23 Coma NON-BILLABLE
- R40.231 Coma scale, best motor response, none NON-BILLABLE
- R40.232 Coma scale, best motor response, extension NON-BILLABLE
- R40.233 Coma scale, best motor response, abnormal NON-BILLABLE
- R40.234 Coma scale, best motor response, flexion withdrawal NON-BILLABLE
- R40.235 Coma scale, best motor response, localizes pain NON-BILLABLE
- R40.236 Coma scale, best motor response, obeys commands NON-BILLABLE
- R40.24 NON-BILLABLE
- R40.241 Glasgow coma scale score 13-15 NON-BILLABLE
- R40.242 Glasgow coma scale score 9-12 NON-BILLABLE
- R40.243 Glasgow coma scale score 3-8 NON-BILLABLE
- R40.244 Other coma, without documented Glasgow coma scale score, or with partial score reported NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code R402 is used to code Coma
In medicine, coma (from the Greek κῶμα koma, meaning "deep sleep") is a state of unconsciousness in which a person: cannot be awakened; fails to respond normally to painful stimuli, light, or sound; lacks a normal wake-sleep cycle; and does not initiate voluntary actions. A person in a state of coma is described as being comatose. Typically, a distinction is made in the medical community between a coma and a medically induced coma, the former is generally understood to be a result of circumstances beyond the control of the medical community, while the latter is generally understood to be a means by which medical professionals may allow a patient's injuries to heal in a controlled environment.
|ICD 9 Code:||780.01|
Coding Notes for R40.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Code Notes:
- One code from subcategories R40.21-Code R40-23 is required to complete the coma scale
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for additional code to fully describe disease or condition
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R40.2 - Coma'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R40.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.