ICD-10-CM Code R44
Other symptoms and signs involving general sensations and perceptions
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code R44 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of R44 that describes the diagnosis 'oth symptoms and signs w general sensations and perceptions' in more detail.
- R44 Other symptoms and signs involving general sensations and perceptions NON-BILLABLE
- R44.0 NON-BILLABLE
- R44.1 NON-BILLABLE
- R44.2 Other NON-BILLABLE
- R44.3 NON-BILLABLE
- R44.8 Other symptoms and signs involving general sensations and perceptions NON-BILLABLE
- R44.9 symptoms and signs involving general sensations and perceptions NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code R44 is used to code Hallucination
A hallucination is a perception in the absence of external stimulus that has qualities of real perception. Hallucinations are vivid, substantial, and are seen to be located in external objective space. They are distinguishable from these related phenomena: dreaming, which does not involve wakefulness; illusion, which involves distorted or misinterpreted real perception; imagery, which does not mimic real perception and is under voluntary control; and pseudohallucination, which does not mimic real perception, but is not under voluntary control. Hallucinations also differ from "delusional perceptions", in which a correctly sensed and interpreted stimulus (i.e., a real perception) is given some additional (and typically absurd) significance.
|ICD 9 Code:||780.1|
My eyes at the moment of the apparitions by August Natterer, a German artist who created many drawings of his hallucinations.
Coding Notes for R44 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Alcoholic hallucinations (F1.5)
- Hallucinations in drug psychosis - instead, use Section F11-F19 with .5)
- Hallucinations in mood disorders with psychotic symptoms (F30.2, F31.5, F32.3, F33.3) - instead, use code F30.2
- Hallucinations in schizophrenia, schizotypal and delusional disorders - instead, use Section F20-F29
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Disturbances of skin sensation - instead, use code R20.-
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R44 - Other symptoms and signs involving general sensations and perceptions'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R44. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.