ICD-10-CM Code R52
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
R52 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of pain, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code R52 is used to code Pain
Pain is a distressing feeling often caused by intense or damaging stimuli, such as stubbing a toe, burning a finger, putting alcohol on a cut, and bumping the "funny bone". Because it is a complex, subjective phenomenon, defining pain has been a challenge. The International Association for the Study of Pain's widely used definition states: "Pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage." In medical diagnosis, pain is a symptom.
|ICD 9 Code:||338|
A woman grimacing while having blood drawn
Coding Notes for R52 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Acute pain NOS
- Generalized pain NOS
- Pain NOS
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute and chronic pain, not elsewhere classified - instead, use code G89.-
- Localized pain, unspecified type - code to pain by site, such as:
- Abdomen pain - instead, use code R10.-
- Back pain - instead, use code M54.9
- Breast pain - instead, use code N64.4
- Chest pain (R07.1-R07.9) - instead, use code R07.1-
- Ear pain - instead, use code H92.0-
- Eye pain - instead, use code H57.1
- Headache - instead, use Code R51
- Joint pain - instead, use code M25.5-
- Limb pain - instead, use code M79.6-
- Lumbar region pain - instead, use code M54.5
- Pelvic and perineal pain - instead, use code R10.2
- Shoulder pain - instead, use code M25.51-
- Spine pain - instead, use code M54.-
- Throat pain - instead, use code R07.0
- Tongue pain - instead, use code K14.6
- Tooth pain - instead, use code K08.8
- Renal colic - instead, use Code N23
- Pain disorders exclusively related to psychological factors - instead, use code F45.41
- DRG Group #947-948 - Signs and symptoms with MCC.
- DRG Group #947-948 - Signs and symptoms without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Pain in lymph nodes after alcohol consumption (finding)
- Tiring with pain (finding)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R52 - Pain, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R52. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code R52 and a single ICD9 code, 780.96 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.