ICD-10-CM Code R57
Shock, not elsewhere classified
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code R57 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of R57 that describes the diagnosis 'shock, not elsewhere classified' in more detail.
- R57 Shock, not elsewhere classified NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code R57 is used to code Shock (circulatory)
Circulatory shock, commonly known as shock, is a life-threatening medical condition of low blood perfusion to tissues resulting in cellular injury and inadequate tissue function. The typical signs of shock are low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and signs of poor end-organ perfusion (i.e.: low urine output, confusion, or loss of consciousness).
|Specialty:||Cardiology, Critical Care Medicine|
|ICD 9 Code:||785.50|
Coding Notes for R57 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Anaphylactic shock NOS - instead, use code T78.2
- Anaphylactic reaction or shock due to adverse food reaction - instead, use code T78.0-
- Anaphylactic shock due to adverse effect of correct drug or medicament properly administered - instead, use code T88.6
- Anaphylactic shock due to serum - instead, use code T80.5-
- Anesthetic shock - instead, use code T88.3
- Electric shock - instead, use code T75.4
- Obstetric shock - instead, use code O75.1
- Postprocedural shock - instead, use code T81.1-
- Psychic shock - instead, use code F43.0
- Septic shock - instead, use code R65.21
- Shock complicating or following ectopic or molar pregnancy - instead, use Section O00-O07, O08.3)
- Shock due to lightning - instead, use code T75.01
- Traumatic shock - instead, use code T79.4
- Toxic shock syndrome - instead, use code A48.3
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R57 - Shock, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R57. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.