ICD-10-CM Code R63.6
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
R63.6 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of underweight. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for R63.6 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify body mass index (BMI), if known See code Z68.-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Abnormal weight loss - instead, use code R63.4
- Anorexia nervosa - instead, use code F50.0-
- Malnutrition - instead, use Section E40-E46
- DRG Group #640-641 - Misc disorders of nutrition, metabolism, fluids or electrolytes with MCC.
- DRG Group #640-641 - Misc disorders of nutrition, metabolism, fluids or electrolytes without MCC.
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R63.6 - Underweight'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R63.6. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 783.22 was previously used, R63.6 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.