ICD-10-CM Code R65.2
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code R65.2 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the two child codes of R65.2 that describes the diagnosis 'severe sepsis' in more detail.
The ICD code R65 is used to code Systemic inflammatory response syndrome
Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) is an inflammatory state affecting the whole body, frequently a response of the immune system to infection, but not necessarily so. It is related to sepsis, a condition in which individuals meet criteria for SIRS and have a known infection.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.90|
Coding Notes for R65.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Infection with associated acute organ dysfunction
- Sepsis with acute organ dysfunction
- Sepsis with multiple organ dysfunction
- Systemic inflammatory response syndrome due to infectious process with acute organ dysfunction
- Underlying infection, such as:
- Infection following a procedure See code T81.4
- Infections following infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection See code T80.2-
- Puerperal sepsis See Code O85
- Sepsis following complete or unspecified spontaneous abortion See code O03.87
- Sepsis following ectopic and molar pregnancy See code O08.82
- Sepsis following incomplete spontaneous abortion See code O03.37
- Sepsis following (induced) termination of pregnancy See code O04.87
- Sepsis NOS See code A41.9
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify specific acute organ dysfunction, such as:
- Acute kidney failure See code N17.-
- Acute respiratory failure See code J96.0-
- Critical illness myopathy See code G72.81
- Critical illness polyneuropathy See code G62.81
- Disseminated intravascular coagulopathy [DIC] See Code D65
- Encephalopathy (metabolic) (septic) See code G93.41
- Hepatic failure See code K72.0-
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- This code is not to be used in the primary position
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R65.2 - Severe sepsis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R65.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.