ICD-10-CM Code R65.21
Severe sepsis with septic shock
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
R65.21 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of severe sepsis with septic shock. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code R65 is used to code Systemic inflammatory response syndrome
Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) is an inflammatory state affecting the whole body, frequently a response of the immune system to infection, but not necessarily so. It is related to sepsis, a condition in which individuals meet criteria for SIRS and have a known infection.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.90|
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis with mv 96+ hours.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis without mv 96+ hours with MCC.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis without mv 96+ hours without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Failed attempted abortion with septic shock (disorder)
- Induced termination of pregnancy complicated by septic shock (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for causative disease code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R65.21 - Severe sepsis with septic shock'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R65.21. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code R65.21 and a single ICD9 code, 995.92 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.