ICD-10-CM Code R78.81
| ICD-10 from 2011 - 2016
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
R78.81 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of bacteremia. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for R78.81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Sepsis-code to specified infection - instead, use Section A00-B99
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis with mv 96+ hours.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis without mv 96+ hours with MCC.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis without mv 96+ hours without MCC.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R78.81 - Bacteremia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R78.81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code R78.81 and a single ICD9 code, 790.7 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.
Parent Code: R78.8 - Finding of other specified substances, not normally found in blood