ICD-10-CM Code S01.90XA
Unspecified open wound of unspecified part of head, initial encounter
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
S01.90XA is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of unspecified open wound of unspecified part of head, initial encounter. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code S019 is used to code Penetrating head injury
A penetrating head injury, or open head injury, is a head injury in which the dura mater, the outer layer of the meninges, is breached. Penetrating injury can be caused by high-velocity projectiles or objects of lower velocity such as knives, or bone fragments from a skull fracture that are driven into the brain. Head injuries caused by penetrating trauma are serious medical emergencies and may cause permanent disability or death.
An 1868 illustration of the injury suffered by Phineas Gage, a railroad worker who had a tamping iron driven through his skull in an 1848 accident.
- DRG Group #604-605 - Trauma to the skin, subcut tissue and breast with MCC.
- DRG Group #604-605 - Trauma to the skin, subcut tissue and breast without MCC.
- DRG Group #955-965 - Other multiple significant trauma with MCC.
- DRG Group #955-965 - Other multiple significant trauma with CC.
- DRG Group #955-965 - Other multiple significant trauma without CC or MCC.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code S01.90XA and a single ICD9 code, 873.9 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.