ICD-10-CM Code S03
Dislocation and sprain of joints and ligaments of head
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code S03 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of S03 that describes the diagnosis 'dislocation and sprain of joints and ligaments of head' in more detail.
- S03 Dislocation and sprain of joints and ligaments of head NON-BILLABLE
- S03.0 Dislocation of jaw NON-BILLABLE
- S03.1 Dislocation of septal cartilage of nose NON-BILLABLE
- S03.2 Dislocation of tooth NON-BILLABLE
- S03.4 Sprain of jaw NON-BILLABLE
- S03.8 Sprain of joints and ligaments of other parts of head NON-BILLABLE
- S03.9 Sprain of joints and ligaments of unspecified parts of head NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for S03 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Avulsion of joint (capsule) or ligament of head
- Laceration of cartilage, joint (capsule) or ligament of head
- Sprain of cartilage, joint (capsule) or ligament of head
- Traumatic hemarthrosis of joint or ligament of head
- Traumatic rupture of joint or ligament of head
- Traumatic subluxation of joint or ligament of head
- Traumatic tear of joint or ligament of head
Code Also Note:
Code AlsoA Code Also note indicates that two or more codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but the order of codes is at the coder's discretion. Code order depends on the severity of the conditions and the reason for the encounter.
- Any associated open wound
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Strain of muscle or tendon of head - instead, use code S09.1
7th Character Extension Notes:
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category See Code S03
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'S03 - Dislocation and sprain of joints and ligaments of head'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code S03. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.